Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

What is Rob’s role as a Member of Parliament?

The role of an MP is three-fold: to represent their constituency in Parliament; to give help and advice to constituents; and to play a part in their political party. 

In Parliament an MP votes to support or oppose laws and amendments to them.

An MP also contributes to debates, which gives them a chance to explore issues more fully. 

Constituents can contact their MP for help on a wide range of issues.

If you have a concern about something related to the local council then your first port of call should be your local councillor. However, Rob is also happy to help if you require assistance further to this.

You can find your councillor by clicking here. Constituents may also raise policy-related concerns with their MP. 

An MP has regular communication with their local political party and often communicates local issues to the national party. 

How can I contact Rob? 

The ‘Contact Rob’ page of this website has a full list of contact details. 

Can Rob help me even if I do not live in his constituency? 

There is strict parliamentary protocol which dictates that MPs may only represent their own constituents.

If you do not live in Stoke-on-Trent South then you can find your MP by clicking here

How can I invite Rob to an event I am holding? 

You can either send an invitation in the post or via email.

Please note that Rob’s diary is very busy, so please try to provide as much notice as possible prior to the event, and include as much information about it in your invitation as possible. 

How can I find out how Rob has voted? 

Website ‘Public Whip’ is a good way to see how each MP and member of the House of Lords has voted. It is available at